For international students, the United Kingdom has reappeared on the map to study abroad with two years of stay back once they graduate. However, many students still wonder if they can study in UK without IELTS or not. The answer to that would be a yes. International students can study in UK universities without the IELTS requirements. There are some alternatives to be fulfilled in place of IELTS, and you can find that below, too.
Criteria for admission in UK without IELTS
Mainly the following 3 criteria are used to accept the international students for UK courses without IELTS :
- English Medium of Instruction
At times, universities ask for the medium of previous education of the student. If the medium of your education for all subjects was in the English language, the university may consider this as proof to accept you without IELTS. To study masters in UK without IELTS you need to prove you have done graduation in the English language.
Some universities may ask candidates to appear for a video interview. This will help the university to check your level of understanding of English and make the decision accordingly. You need to crack this interview in the best possible manner to get admission to UK universities that do not require IELTS.
- Class 10th and 12th scores
Sometimes universities may take into consideration your high school or senior year scores. For example, If you have scored more than 75% in English in 10th and 12th then universities may consider this as proof of English proficiency.
There are different ways to prove your proficiency other than IELTS:
- If you have a low IELTS score such as 4.0, you can attend their pre-sessional courses, which can run for weeks, depending on the proficiency required for the course you are attending.
- If you have not taken IELTS at all, the other option is to opt for the Summer Programme they have. The starting dates vary from May to December.
- Another program called “Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes” is also there if a candidate requires more time to learn the language.
Study in UK for Indian Students without IELTS:
If you have studied from the given below boards, and have 65% or above, you are not needed to take IELTS. The respective boards are:
- Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh